This video is part of a grant application to raise funds for ‘reaching out to carers through technology’. Please like and share the video to enhance our application – thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQLUayx8p60&feature=youtu.be
Young Adult Carers are young people aged between 16-25 who support a family member or friend with a disability, physical illness, mental illness, or addiction.
As a Young Adult Carer you may:
- Help with personal care, such as bathing, showering, dressing or going to the toilet.
- Help with practical tasks such as cooking, shopping, childcare, taking a family member to important appointments, etc.
- Provide emotional support such as listening to someone when they are feeling alone or reassuring them when they feel frightened.
- Be responsible for the family finances and have the responsibility for paying bills.
All of these responsibilities can have a big impact on a Young Adults life.
For example, if you are a Young Adult Carer you may:
- Have little time to socialise with your own friends and often miss opportunities to spend time away from the home.
- Stress and worry about leaving your family member on their own when you leave the house.
- Struggle with your own mental health.
- Have difficulties at work due to having to take time off regularly.
- Struggle with your College or University workload
- Struggle with the amount of responsibilities you have.
- Have low confidence and self-esteem.
The YAC Project can help to reduce the impact the caring role has on a Young Adult Carers life. We can offer:
- One to one support
- Group support via Facebook and WhatsApp
- Group Nights with FREE food
- Events and Trips out (Alton Towers/Spa Days/Activity Days)
- Workshops and Courses (Mindfulness/ First Aid/ Manual Handling)
- Benefits Advice
- Counselling (if a need is identified)
- Referrals to Other Agencies/Services
- Employment, Training and Volunteering Opportunities
If you would like further information or to make a referral, please contact Vicky Bentley (Y.A.C Coordinator) on 01254 688440.