At the carers service we run a volunteer programme and we now have approximately 70 volunteers who help us on a day to day basis across all our departments.
Gift of Time –
a week is all the time that is needed to make a positive impact on the life of a carer.
Can YOU spare a minimum of two hours a week to contribute to the support that Blackburn with Darwen Carers Service affords to unpaid carers?
If the answer is YES, we would love to hear from you!
We are always looking for volunteers to support the service in various roles. We also have many students on placement throughout the year whether this is for a one week or a six month placement. Please see the list below, which is not limited to roles available, or get in touch with our Volunteer Coordinator on 01254 688440 for further details.
Type of roles –
- Health liaison
- Service development
- Charity shop
- Reception & Admin
- Social media
- Student Counsellor
What BwD Carers Service can offer you –
- Full induction (including mini induction in area of work by staff lead responsible for each individual project) – all volunteers are required to complete a full induction before their start date, as we would like to ensure you are satisfied with the role and it will provide an opportunity to identify any training needs.
- DBS – this is a government police check that has to be undertaken for any volunteers who will be lone working in people’s homes. There is a £9.60 charge for this, however the Carers Service will reimburse after 30 hours of volunteering. Student Counsellors require an enhanced DBS check for which you will be required to make a payment of £26.80, this however cannot be reimbursed.
- Internal job opportunities – all internal job opportunities with the service are open to our volunteers, which you will be informed via email.
- Training – any opportunities for training or development will be identified by staff leads or the volunteer coordinator who would inform you.
- Supervision – we offer regular support to our volunteers through quarterly Chill & Chat sessions (group supervisions) and individual supervisions for one-to-one support may be requested.
- Volunteer expenses – the service covers mileage expenses for volunteers. You may also claim lunch expenses (minimum of £3.50) if you commit to more than 5 hours a day. All expense forms must be handed in to the volunteer coordinator by the end of each month to claim.
- Volunteer celebration – each year we invite all our volunteers to join us for our volunteer celebration event and thank them for their commitment and dedication. As a token of appreciation, you will receive a certificate showing number of hours volunteered and cost of saving to the service.
What you can expect?
- Overview of volunteer role – prior to the induction you may not have a particular role in mind, which is not a problem as all potential roles will be discussed and dependent on your skills and experience you will be matched with a suited role.
- Volunteer Handbook – all volunteers receive a volunteer handbook on the service
- DBS checks – if your role involves home visits you will require a DBS check which will be processed.
- Confidentiality – you will sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Lone working – you will be made aware of the organisations lone working policies and procedures.
- Risk assessments – you will be talked through the health and safety policy. The volunteer coordinator will also identify any individual risks i.e. disability/illness for us to best support you in your role.
Benefits of volunteering with us –
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a vital difference to the lives of unpaid carers in the community
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being part of a team
- Enhance your CV
- Try something new and gain valuable skills or experience
- Reimbursement of expenses whilst volunteering
- Training, education and employment opportunities
If you are interested in volunteering for us, please complete the electronic form below.
Alternatively, you can download a copy of the application form below and send via post BwD Carers Service, Greenhurst Place, Blackburn, BB2 1NA or email firstname.lastname@example.org.